Building your understanding of the science behind language development!

By: Kelly Hopkins, EC-SEAT Project

Massachusetts Institute on Technology (MIT) researcher Deb Roy wanted to understand how his infant son learned language — so he wired up his house with video cameras to catch every moment (with exceptions) of his son's life, then parsed 90,000 hours of home video to watch "gaaaa" slowly turn into "water." Astonishing, data-rich research with deep implications for how we learn.

After listening to MIT researcher Deb Roy on Ted Talk, I was encouraged and felt more confident about my knowledge and understand of language development in infants and toddlers. I used the information from this in my work with families and children.  Listen to this inspiring research by Deb Roy and get excited about the future of child development research.



For more information on Speech and Language development before the age of 3 the National Institute of Deafness and Communication Disorders (NIDCD) have put together a resourceful web page that explains speech and language development in more detail and what might cause a delay


Here are 10 ways to promote language development in young children from the Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

http://mtbt.fpg.unc.edu/more-baby-talk/10-ways-promote-language-and-communication-skills-infants-and-toddlers





About Kelly: I am currently working at Moore Center Services, Inc. as an Early Childhood Educator in Family Centered Early Supports and Services. I have been providing services to young children for 4 years now. I am in my last year of graduate classes as an EC-SEAT scholar. I am interested in learning how to apply the knowledge and hands on experience I have received in my Assistive Technology courses and teacher preparation courses at my internship in a preschool classroom in the spring.
-->



-->

Comments

Post a Comment

We invite you to share your thoughts and additional resources with our community of readers.

Also, contact us if you would like to be a guest blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

Low-Tech Ways for Adapting Books for Fine Motor

App Review: TouchChat HD

Assistive Technology vs. Instructional Technology - Three Questions with Dr. Therese Willkomm