App Selection Websites - Reviews from EC-SEAT Scholars Part 1

Reviews by: Janet Skillin, EC-SEAT Scholar

One Place for Special Needs, AAC Tech Connect, Switch Accessible Apps, and Text Based Apps.


This site is a guide to over 300,000 app choices and has been created by a special needs parent. I really like that it is by someone who has experienced first hand as a parent the need for "Quick" resources for our children as we spend so much time researching, and advocating for our children. It would be nice to update this page by assessing the sites and asigning maybe a "star" rating from people who use the different apps. I could very easily spend "days" looking at all of these. It is nice to have a "guide" to begin my search.

I personally didn't really care for this site. It is not very user-friendly. I didn't like that you cant just navigate it without doing a free trial. I prefer to be able to search around and see if it will be a good resource for me before I give "personal" information and start receiving information from the site.

I liked this site, because I have a child who uses switches and it is very time consuming to search for these apps. I also like that they give you the cost of each app also, this allows you to save time and not look at apps that you may not be able to afford. "Time is of the essense". I did not like that the links would not work from my IPAD though. I am not sure why that was so I had to copy and paste them in the search bar.

This site was great. I liked that she gives the price and star ratings. I also had success with using the links to the apps using my IPAD with this site when I did not with the switch accessible apps.I also like that she gives the voice output and speech information along with the information for the preprogrammed pages & customizations. I didn't find any apps on this site that I would purchase, but it was a good resource.

About Janet: Janet is blessed with four children 4, 9, 15 & 20. She is the Director at a Child
Care Program and also the Director of Howie's Field of Dreams Buddy Ball Program. This program was started for people with special needs to play baseball ages 5-20. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Low-Tech Ways for Adapting Books for Fine Motor

App Review: TouchChat HD

Assistive Technology vs. Instructional Technology - Three Questions with Dr. Therese Willkomm