App Selection Websites - Reviews from EC-SEAT Scholars Part 4

Websites reviewed by: Sophia Fowler, EC-SEAT Scholar

inov8 educational consulting - inov8 is not a flashy web site thus did not have some of the appeal as the others I explored; however I was amazed at the resource once I started clicking and looking around. I really liked how each section was set up into chapters. At the end of each chapter there were responses and feedback/questions, such as similar apps to the ones described or recommendations of ways to use the apps listed. What I didn't like was this is not a web site to go to for quick references. It's in depth, time consuming and slightly confusing to navigate.

Appadvice.com - Is a great techie web site. I liked how they rated paid and free apps for both the cell phone and iPad, but no android contribution. This is definitely a drawback if you are trying to get a parent interested in an app for their child and they have an android while the consultant/therapist is using an iOS device. The other thing I liked is this offers very up to date information through app advice daily on a number of itopics. This is not where I would go for educational searches.

Apps4stages - I really liked this site. I learned about the different stages of an iPad learner and when is the best time and what is the criteria for bumping up to the next stage. Also transitions happen quickly at young age so this is a great way of tracking certain skills if tracking apps are not present. This site incorporates the app wheel by Mark Coppin which is a great way to combine 2 resources into one. This also offers 'websites that help users find apps' thus admitting they do not have a comprehensive web site of apps. What I could not find was how often the information was updated.

One place for Special Needs - What I really enjoyed about this site is I could plugin a diagnosis with a choice of category to work on and it would cross reference the two and come up with a list to start working off of. This also offers android app recommendations, a bonus. What I didn't like was to access all of the website you need to become a member, but then customization could be done.

One recommendation extra, if you 'like' the site 'technology in Education' on Facebook, every Friday they make available free apps to try or notify you when apps have been significantly dropped in price. It's a great way to get notifications sent to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Low-Tech Ways for Adapting Books for Fine Motor

App Review: TouchChat HD

Assistive Technology vs. Instructional Technology - Three Questions with Dr. Therese Willkomm