App Selection Websites - Reviews from EC-SEAT Scholars Part 2

Reviewed by: Maggierose Smith, EC-SEAT scholar

1. I reviewed the Complete Guide to Educational and Special Needs Apps (oneplaceforspecialneeds.com). Upon first glance, I enjoyed the site because of the coloration and white space it offers. Many times sites with vast amounts of information can be overwhelming, but the organization with the titles in blue and the information in black helps me better process the information. I also enjoy that it is organized by disability, type of activity and alphabetically, making it easy to find apps that particular students may find beneficial. The search tool was extremely beneficial as it weeded through the apps for me, leaving a more succinct list to go through before choosing one. These aspects make the site very user friendly. I thought it was really cool how the search tool narrowed down apps based on a variety of criteria, making it easy to match student’s capabilities to the appropriate app. I do think it would be useful to have the price of the app directly on the site, rather than clicking off to a third party organization.

2. I examined the site http://appadvice.com/applists/show/apps-for-the-deaf and found it extremely user friendly! It had large font, short but informative descriptions and featured a link to purchasing the app itself. I also found it really interesting that it featured apps for people of all ages! From the youngest person with a hearing disability to the oldest, this site features apps that would be beneficial to anyone who has a hearing impairment to anyone who is working or living with someone with a hearing impairment. I specifically thought the LouderTV app is interesting as it works with the TV one already owns and amplifies the sound through the app via headphones so those with a hearing impairment can comfortably watch TV with family and friends.


3. I enjoyed the site, otswithapps.com site because it was easy to find the chart featuring the “need to know” information about the app, such as name, price, and a short overview. It’s also beneficial to hear from other professionals in the field through the interactive blog the site features. After a few minutes on the site, I found lots of great information including a downloadable pdf that features a list of apps, organized in an easy to read manner and has direct links to download the app.


About Maggierose: I am an EC-SEAT scholar at UNH. Currently, I am finishing my undergrad in the Family Studies Human Development department while beginning my Masters in EC: Special Needs. This year, I am student teaching in a public Kindergarten and am taking this class to gain more information on how to make education exciting and accessible to students of all capabilities. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Low-Tech Ways for Adapting Books for Fine Motor

App Review: TouchChat HD

Assistive Technology vs. Instructional Technology - Three Questions with Dr. Therese Willkomm