Certain Proof – A Question of Worth

By: Lindsay LaFleur, EC-SEAT Scholar and Early Supports and Services certified educator

Certain Proof is a 60-minute documentary that follows three children experiencing cerebral palsy.  Under the Individual with Disabilities Education Act of 1975, children with disabilities have the opportunity to receive a free and appropriate education.  Although, this is the law many interrupt it differently. Throughout the video, the children are proving to their educators that they deserve to be in an inclusive classroom with their peers.  Also seen throughout the video is the struggle families face as they prove their child’s potential and advocate for their futures.  


 At the heart of Certain Proof are complex questions: Is the education system forcing parents to scale back their expectations and dreams for their children? Are educators, parents, governments and citizens willing to demand a system that ensures every child – no matter his or her situation – can live up to their potential?”

As a Special Educator for Early Supports and Services, Certain Proof encourages me to reflect on my teaching philosophy.  It inspires me to continuing to empower families to advocate for their children’s needs, especially as they transition from Early Supports and Services to Preschool.  


Photo of Lindsay LaFleur
Hello, my name is Lindsay LaFleur and I am currently participating in the Early Childhood Special Education Assistive Technology (EC-SEAT) Project. I received my undergrad from Plymouth State University in 2009 and have been working in the field of Early Supports and Services as a certified educator. I am very passionate about my role as a home visitor. I provide services to a diverse group of families and their children who range in ages birth to three. Over the past year, I have gained valuable knowledge and skills in the area of assistive technology in which I have used to create home modifications to better the lives of the individuals I support.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Low-Tech Ways for Adapting Books for Fine Motor

App Review: TouchChat HD

Assistive Technology vs. Instructional Technology - Three Questions with Dr. Therese Willkomm