A Review of Two Apps Focused on Social Skills

By: Lori Vigeant, EC-SEAT Scholar and New Hampshire Early Childhood Special Educator


There are so many social skills apps out there. I chose a couple that were free and appropriate for preschool. Check them out!

Model Me Going Places

This is a free social app for young children. It has essentially social stories that the child can explore with real photos demonstrating behaviors and actions appropriate for each situation. You can visit the park, restaurant or go to the doctor. Social stories are a meaningful way to teach behavior for different situations or settings. I use these in my preschool classroom a lot, but I really like the real pictures rather than drawings. I will definitely use this app in my classroom! 















What Face 

This is another free app to help students read non-verbal communication through different facial expressions. I have used photos of facial expressions in my classroom and get a lot of verbal response from my preschoolers. Sometimes they are able to tell a whole story about what might have made the person feel this way! This is a great app to use when students are working on feelings and how to manage their emotions. Not only can you talk about how a person is feeling, but how you can help or react to a person with those feelings. I will also use this app in my classroom.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Low-Tech Ways for Adapting Books for Fine Motor

App Review: TouchChat HD

Assistive Technology vs. Instructional Technology - Three Questions with Dr. Therese Willkomm