Language Tool Box - Strategies that Work for ALL Learners

By: Lori Vigeant, EC-SEAT Scholar, New Hampshire Early Childhood Special Educator

I teach in an intensive special needs preschool classroom.  My students have a wide range of disabilities and abilities. There are typically developing students integrated into my classroom as well as Dual Language Learners (DLLs) with and without disabilities.  The students range in age from 3-5 years olds.  The materials and strategies that I use for students who are DLLs are also effective tools for all my students.  Also, the strategies and materials that I use with students who have special needs are effective tools for children who are DLLs  Because my students are so young, they are all English language learners and benefit from the teaching strategies and materials that are used in the classroom.
Boardmaker Boardmaker is a software program that I use to make visual supports for my students.  I am able to create schedules, communication boards and books, and topic boards.  I use these pictures in different ways for all of my students.  The pictures represent words and they encourage students to communicate and eventually use spoken words in combination with the pictures.  These visuals can be used during play, circle time or any other time to assist and encourage language.  Most of my non-verbal students use a PECS system with these pictures for their communication needs.  These symbols are supported in 44 languages.
Boardmaker Online Screenshot
Visuals – Visuals are a very important part of my classroom.  Anything new that is introduced to students is presented with a visual.  Books and pictures are used to explain new vocabulary.  I use visuals and felt pieces when I tell stories.  Students are able to manipulate the pieces to re-tell the story or make up a new one.   I also create story boxes with items from the story to help students recall events and remember vocabulary.  This also encourages language. 
Question of the day - I ask my preschool students a question every day.  We are using the first 25 sight words so that they will be familiar with them by Kindergarten.  I laminate and keep all the separate words in a box.  Questions might be, “Do you like to eat carrots?” or “Are you wearing stripes?”  Students put their name under “yes” or “no”.  The students are practicing name recognition and sight word repetition.  Some word cards include pictures to help with recognition.  By the middle of the school year, many of my students are recognizing 5 to 10 sight words!  This activity can be made into a math activity with counting, graphing, and asking questions like, “How many more people are wearing stripes?” 
Bilingual books – I love using bilingual books in my classroom.  There are some in our school library that I like to use in my classroom.  They are a great way to include all students in the class.  It helps develop vocabulary for my ELLs and can teach other languages to my English speaking students. Visit http://www.alien-languages.com/1/507/bilingual_books_preschool/wee_macnessie.aspx to purchase bilingual books. 
Colorin Colorado - Colorin Colorado is a bilingual website for parents and teachers of English language learners. Colorin Colorado has been providing free research-based information, activities and advice to parents, schools and communities.  It contains resources for grades K-12. Teachers can find relevant articles and topics related to ELL.  I have used Colorin Colorado to find articles and information to share with parents. I’ve have found several flyers and articles to send home to parents in both Spanish and English.
Bitsboard - Bitsboard is an ipad app that pairs spoken language with pictures. Parents and teachers can choose from a variety of shared boards on specific topics or create their own boards using the photo library or their own photos.  You can create games and matching activities with the boards as well. I use Bitsboard with my ELLs and language delayed students.  It is a great way to build vocabulary and aid in communication. 
Screenshot of Bitsboard App
Class Books - These are books that the class completes together.  Each student may make 1 or 2 pages in the book.  Books can cover many subjects.  Books can be about fall leaves, students in the class, science, math or anything you would like.  Class books are a great way for students to work together to create a finished project.  My students each have a chance to bring finished class books home to share with their families.  I always leave empty pages in the back for parent comments.  We have created “I Spy”, “All about me”, “Snowman at Night” and “Who took the Pumpkin from the Pumpkin Patch” books.  It is a great way to involve families and it gives students practice reading a book.
Manipulatives – Just like visuals, manipulatives are a very important part of my preschool classroom.  Students learn by doing and the more opportunities to touch, move and manipulate objects, the better.  My students use dominos, counting bears, planes and dinosaurs, blocks and playdoh.  Pretend play in the kitchen or with trains and cars encourages language and builds vocabulary with adult support for scaffolding and modeling.  My El students are motivated to play with peers.  They want to communicate and socialize.  Topic boards are often used to assist and encourage language for non-verbal and El students while playing.  Actual objects are often used when introducing and building vocabulary. Students can hold objects and tell about them.  There are many language opportunities in my classroom at all levels.
Clifford Magazine - I love using this magazine in my classroom.  There are 2 magazines for each month.  I introduce the magazine using the video and I have downloaded the app for the games and puzzles onto my I-Pad.  The magazine and supplementary activities are great for centers.  The My Big World introduces children to non-fiction and builds vocabulary. There is even a connection to the common core standards for Kindergarten.  Scholastic Magazine can be ordered for your classroom.  There are magazines for preschool, elementary and secondary students.  The non-fiction magazines come with a guide for teachers with supplementary activities and lessons.  There is also an online resource with videos, games, puzzles and other materials http://clifford.scholastic.com/   (pre-K level).
Toca Boca Apps fortablets - I use these apps with my students.  With a topic board, they can make sentences telling what they are doing.  An example may be, “The girl eats cookies.”  Students are encouraged to use the topic board to help them to make sentences.  Toca Boca Apps are geared toward young children.  They encourage play and imagination while helping to build vocabulary.  Games that I have used are, Toca Kitchen, Toca Tea Party and Toca House.
WIDA Early language Development Standards - This is a great resource for preschool teachers. These standards are relevant to my everyday work with all my students.  I am able to determine the level of proficiency for my students and develop strategies for learning. https://www.wida.us/standards/EarlyYears.aspx  Wida early language development standards were developed for children aged 2.5 – 5.5. The standards are available for download in both English and Spanish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Low-Tech Ways for Adapting Books for Fine Motor

App Review: TouchChat HD

Assistive Technology vs. Instructional Technology - Three Questions with Dr. Therese Willkomm