Reflection from the Field: How to Use the Novel Effect App to Enhance online Reading and Listening - An Online Workshop for Families and Teachers

By: Alicia Giannelli, EC-SEAT Scholar

The following blogpost includes sample emails and a reflection about how to teach with the Novel Effect App. Read the sample emails, the reflection, and follow the links to learn more. 

Using the Novel Effect App - https://noveleffect.com/ - to Enhance Reading Online


Sample Email to Preschool Families:

Hello Everyone, I have an app called Novel Effect that I want to share with you all! It is an app that adds sound effects while you read. I feel as though you and your children will love it as much as I do. Check out my video on the Novel Effect app here.  The website also has great information for you to explore: https://noveleffect.com/ I have also created a read-aloud of Don't Let the Pigeon Drive The Bus, by Mo Willems for your kiddos. You can check out that read aloud here. I hope you all enjoy it! Stay Healthy and Safe!

Sample Email to Preschool Team:

Hello Everyone, First. I miss seeing you all and being able to chat in person! I wanted to share an app that I really enjoy using when I am doing read aloud’s. It is called "Novel Effect" and I think you would all find it as fun as I do! I created a video explaining what Novel Effect is and how to use it. Feel free to check it out here. The website also has more information and helpful resources for educators like ourselves. I recommend checking that out as well: https://noveleffect.com/. I then recorded a read aloud using Novel Effect with the story Don't Let the Pigeon Drive The Bus, by Mo Willems. You can check out that video here. (this information has been shared with our families already). If you do enjoy it. please feel free to share my videos about the app with friends, family, or other educators. I have added it to the Preschool Teaching Videos folder. Let me know if you have any questions!! 

novel effect app logo

Reflection

Online Learning has been a huge change for all families and educators. I chose to share this app with families and educators as a way to enhance the reading experience. Novel Effect adds background noise and sensory input into reading experiences. Novel Effect can engage readers and listeners in a deeper experience of the story. I chose to share this information with families as another option to continue learning at home in a meaningful and fun way. Families are looking for ways to bring learning into their homes with fewer screens and in ways that are accessible by all children and families.

Novel Effect is to be used by anyone with a tablet or smart device. Educators can use this app while they are doing read a-louds for families. Many educators are doing read a-louds, storytimes, or book walks virtually for students. Families are home reading more than ever and this app allows them to get new experiences with books they have read many times. I created these videos for families or educators to be able to access whenever they are able to. It is also able to be shared with anyone who needs or wants the information. I chose to do a video because it can be saved and re-watched rather than a live zoom or google meet. I am not able to save or record those live videos based on permission from others.

I have gotten positive feedback from families and other educators. Many people did not know about this app but find it cool and exciting. Parents have shared that their children have really enjoyed this new way of reading a story and get very excited by the additional sounds they hear.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Low-Tech Ways for Adapting Books for Fine Motor

App Review: TouchChat HD

Assistive Technology vs. Instructional Technology - Three Questions with Dr. Therese Willkomm